"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









3.14.2011

Happy Pi Day..To Celebrate Let's Make Whoopie...PIES!!


Happy Pi Day. Since Pi, an infinite number is 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399......
it is SO much easier to celebrate it on
3.14...or March 14th.
And you know me...I have an 'infinity' affinity for celebrating the 
'odd' or out of the ordinary.
So why not celebrate Pi day with PIE








I have shared lots of pies with you in the past year.
Perhaps my family's favorite...meat pies.
You can read all about them and get the recipe here.
They would be perfect for Pi Day.





There are never any leftovers when I make this recipe.
You can make it in a big casserole,
or individual dishes.
Either way, it would be a winner on Pi Day!




I have also shared the recipe for Ruby's Pineapple Cream Pie.
You can't go wrong with my favorite pie...EVER!

Or my Mom's Famous Pecan Pie. Every person who eats this
says it is the best pecan pie they have ever eaten.
The secret.....NO SYRUP!

And don't forget the recipe I shared for Shepherd's Pie.
I have a couple of sons that think this pie is meant for kings..not shepherds!

And then there were Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. They were great fun to make and are a big hit at parties.

So with the whoopidty Whoopie Pies in mind, I thought I would make up some chocolate whoopies to celebrate 
Pi Day. 

Chocolate Whoopie Pie Recipe

Ingredients for Cake part ..

  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheets. OR you can use mini muffin pans like I did for the pumpkin whoopies. I then slice them in half and put the filling in the middle. OR I also have used the funky cookie sheet that makes big, round, flat cookies. Or you can just drop them by spoonfuls!
  2. To Make Cookies: In a large bowl cream 1/2 cup of shortening , 1 cup sugar and 2 eggs.
  3. In a separate bowl sift together 2 cups flour, 5 T cocoa, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking soda. Add to other mixture alternately with milk, beating well. Add vanilla at the end.
  4. Drop by large spoonful on greased pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.     
  5. See filling recipe below the picture.....         
Filling for Chocolate Whoopie Pies
4 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons shortening, softened to room temp

3 -3 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (OR mint extract is good)

In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in milk and extract until fluffy.
To assemble: Spread the flat side of one cookie circle with a spoonful of filling.
Top with another.
EAT!!!  ENJOY!!!


Happy Pi Day!
I'm linking this with Wow Us Wednesdays and Foodie Friday.

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how you're going to celebrate St. Paddy's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were introduced to Pi day a few years ago by my "math" son! Its popularity is definitely spreading. I think the whoopie pies are the perfect way to celebrate pi day--and yours look very delicious! Thanks for sharing. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best way to celebrate Pi day! Sounds wonderful.

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/17/soft-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Chocolate whoopie pies look so good. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a fun post!
    Really Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be still my heart...a favorite of mine is Chicken Pot Pie...yum. But these pumpkin whoopie 'pi's are lookin' mighty tasty!!! Wonderful post.

    My Friday's Link:
    My Handmade Lighthouse Dolphin Shelf

    I do hope you'll find time to stop by for a visit with me. Have a super weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm esas fotos de comida ya me dieron hambre, muy lindo el blog, saludos mely.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails