"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









4.14.2010

Earth Day!! Vintage Style...............

Another Thursday, another tablescape.  I try to make my tablescapes a little different than the 'norm'.  I try to think of days that there are to celebrate.  Obviously this week Tax Day came to mind. Uhmmmm. I don't think so.  I said "celebrate" after all!
   So, I thought for about a minute, and came up with an Earth Day celebration. It didn't take long to pull things together.
   Obviously if we are celebrating Earth Day, it needs to be outside!  I set up my tablescape on the back deck in the late afternoon.  
   I knew if I was doing Earth Day I did not want to do anything fancy-schmancy.  I wanted it to be more....well earthy!  I chose earth colors and earth elements. It made for a beautiful tablescape. Hmmmm. Who would have thought the earth has perfect colors???

 I had two old grapevine wreaths and took them apart.  From each wreath I ended up with two chargers, for a total of four grapevine chargers.  Once pulled apart the wreaths are the perfect size and depth for chargers.  I took the vintage globe off of its (ugly plastic) pedestal and just laid it in a rectangular basket.  I added the twirly twig that was holding the twig wreaths together and added a little greenery as well.  It made a simple, lovely centerpiece.
   I then used some plain brown plates and layered light aqua plates on top.  I had mugs that went with the aqua plates as well.

 






















   I have six vintage linen napkins...or hand towels...that I thought would be  perfect for Earth Day.  They are hand-embroidered and have elements of the earth on each one.  At first I set the table as one would regularly. I put the napkins on top with the silverware on each side.  Then I decided to try another idea.

   I put the set of silverware in a mini twig wreath.  It fit perfectly.  Then I sat it slightly on, but right beside the cloth napkin.  That way the napkin would stay in place with any wind. (Important in Oklahoma!)
     Close-ups of the intricate embroidery work. 
  Earthy colors.  Earthy elements.  Outside enjoying the beautiful evening. Simple. Lovely.
 I got the basket at Nell Hill's in Atchison, Kansas.  I use to live 30 minutes from the store!  Lucky me!!!!
            Celebrate the earth next week on April 22! 

Be sure and check back in next Thursday when I celebrate the Oklahoma Land Run that began this great state!


I am linking to Susan at :
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/
Go by and check out all kinds of beautiful work!


Brown plates, aqua plates and aqua mugs--Target (some from the dollar section)
Twig basket--Nell Hills /Atchison and Kansas City
Twig chargers--Made out of two twig wreaths
Twig silverware holders--Wal-Mart (???) I've had them forever
Globe--personal collection
Vintage linen personal towels/napkins--personal collection
Silverware--Hiawatha pattern/Ebay

36 comments:

  1. cute cute CUTE, loved your earth day~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/14/2010

    I loved your earthy tablescape. What a fun idea. I live in California but on a trip last October I took a side trip to Atchinson just to visit her shops and I loved it, so much to see and way too much to buy but it was fun. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty and creative -- a great earth day tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so CREATIVE .. LOVE IT!
    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4/14/2010

    Now seriously, you need to be featured in a magazine with your beautiful tablescapes. You blow me away with your creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so creative and clever!! I love the grapevine wreath chargers...they will be really neat to use at Christmas with some pretty red ribbon! Gosh...I just love everything. The blue plates and those lovely napkins...perfect for this tablescape! And then your centerpiece, just wonderful. Very nicely done!!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea!!! You know I love those colors~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your kind words on my blog, Lori. When responding just now, I had the chance to see your tablescape. My goodness, you are creative! I found several ideas I will use. That globe reminds me of my childhood. Wonder why globes aren't as "hip" as they were growing up? :-) Oh, wait a minute... could it be the....INTERNET?? :-) Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic! And I love the Robin's egg blue color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love the globe in the middle. Very creative!! And I can honestly say original too -never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely tablescape! I love the brown and aqua together! Such creativity with the grapevine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative! I have been trying to think of what to do for earth day..my idea were def not as sophisticated as yours! Love the globe...wonderful centerpiece..very earthy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I need to know how you pulled apart those grape wreaths...brilliant!! I love it, so beautiful.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful! Very pretty and different. I love this idea. You are so creative.

    Hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lori, this is a great tablescape. I love themed tables myself so this was right up my alley! I love each of the different napkins, all the twig accessories and the globe for the centerpiece. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lori,
    because the time difference I come little bit late to visit you.
    That's an absolute highlight-table. I liked themed tables, too. And I like this turquise and globe and plates have the exactly same turquise color. That's so nice with brown. And outside ... And birdie.... And .... And .... Love them all.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the colors on your scape are gorgeous -- two favorites and repurposing the wreaths is much in the spirit of your theme. I love it when a table offers something to think about besides bargains. Thanks for stopping by -- Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea using the globe! I love how it all came together. Be blessed. cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a lovely tablescape. Your earthy elements have my mind spinning. A trip to my potting shed is on the schedule. I just know I've been saving those little twig wreaths for something! Hope you will hop on over to my blog and become a follower.
    Thanks for your great inspiration!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very original and creative! I love it all....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is just beyond creative!!! Love the brown and blue and I love how you did the silver. Love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO clever -- and beautiful! Using the globe to establish the color scheme worked so well -- just a gorgeous outdoor table! I love the idea for making the vine chargers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely LOVE every element of your beautiful tablescape!! The colors are gorgeous and I love the twig chargers and napkin rings to finish off the "Earth"y look! Thanks for sharing this with us...a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an unique table, love the aqua with the brown...very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so cute. Earth day is on my birthday and my DILs is three days later so I'm always looking for fun table settings for our birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful table! Love all of the twigs and the vintage towels are a perfect touch!!!

    Thank you for all of your kind comments. I hope I can live up to my reputation!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your table setting. It is just wonderful. I am a new follower to your blog. I hope you have a chance to come say hi. Cheers, Lia

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous4/16/2010

    Such a fun, creative table! I loved how you used the napkin rings around the silverware! That was a fun twist! The vintage napkins were so cute. Thanks for sharing! Toni

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous4/17/2010

    Very cute..love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just had to comment again. I love how you used the vine as a napkin ring. Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  31. This could not be more perfect! Love it all..nice way to honor our lovely mothership!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful creative table...the globe is so perfect for Earth Day. The embroidered napkins are so pretty...they are perfect with the aqua and brown plates. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love, love, love this table. I'm telling you, you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The whole concept of an Earth Day tablescape is so unique! I love it! I really like the globe in the center! Your mugs and dishes match the globe beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Now that is one of the most unique tables I have seen. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi lovely lady. I love your tablescapes with the wine branchs holding your dinnerware great Idea, I love your Blog sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails