"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









4.26.2010

Going Bananas.................

An old favorite at our house is the classicly southern Banana Cake with Chocolate Icing. You can't get better than the combination of bananas and chocolate.....unless it is bananas and caramel.....which is what we top this cake with sometimes.  No matter which one you choose, the cake is sure to be a favorite.
 I found out when I lived in Kansas that a lot of people eat banana bread,  but not so many have made or eaten banana cake.....especially with chocolate or caramel icing.  I think I had more than one Jayhawk convert to the delicious and easy cake. A couple of weeks ago I found myself with some bananas that needed used, so I made the old stand by for the family.  I think you'll enjoy it too.

Ingredients

For Banana Cake --(will be dense..but delicious)

  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, bananas and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
  • Pour into two  (or three) greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. 
ICING
6 tbsp. butter
2 cups powdered sugar--you can add more if needed
3 tsp. cocoa
2 to 3 tbsp. milk
 Cream butter. Combine sugar and cocoa. Add sugar and cocoa mixture to butter Add milk to and butter mixture. I would start with 2 tbsp. of milk and if it's too thick add another tbsp. of milk. ( I continue to add powdered sugar and milk until I get the desired amount and consistency I want, but I have made this lots and lots of times.  Until you are sure of yourself, the basic recipe is just dandy!)
As you can see, I make mine in three layers and with thick icing.  I have also used a bundt pan to make the cake. 
I have no doubt your family will also 'go bananas' over this cake. Enjoy!


I have linked with Foodie Friday and Tasty Tuesday.
Go by and check out the superb recipes.

6 comments:

  1. OMG, this looks fantastic and I am going to make this cake very soon. Love the cake stand too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word. I loooove banana cake. And my husband? He loooooves bananas + chocolate. This would go over VERY well in my house!

    Thanks for sharing (and tempting me!) @ Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure does look tasty! I will definitely have to put it in the file to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love bananas and chocolate. This cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That sounds so good! I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bananas and chocolate ARE good together, but I've never had a banana cake...what a fun concept!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails