"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









6.14.2011

These colors don't run.................

OLD GLORY



I was conceived hundreds of years ago by patriots who made the ultimate sacrifice so I might live.



I drew my first breath as Betsy Ross delivered me into the world, my birth certificate was penned off the coast of Fort McHenry by Francis Scott Key, and I was properly christened by the Continental Congress when they adopted my stars and stripes as the national ensign.



I am the flag of the United States of America. My name is “Old Glory.”



My colors symbolize the patriotic ideals and Christian values held so dearly by my founding fathers. My red stripes reflect the fearless courage and integrity of American men and boys and the self-sacrifices and devotion of American mothers and daughters. My white stripes stand for purity of purpose and belief in a benevolent God. My field of blue is for the heavens above, while my white stars represent each of the sovereign states that comprise the greatest constitutional republic ever know. In totality I represent the eternal principles of liberty, justice and equality for all.



My colors never run.



I fly atop the world's tallest buildings. I stand watch in America’s Halls Of Justice. I fly majestically over great institutions of learning, I stand guard with the greatest military powers in the world.



Look up, and see me! I stand for Peace, Honor, Truth, and Justice. I stand for Freedom.



I am confident - I am arrogant - I am proud.



When I am flown with my fellow banners, my head is a little higher -- my colors a little truer. I bow to no one!



I am recognized all over the world. I am worshipped. I am saluted. I am respected. I am revered. I am loved and I am feared.



I refuse to let evil triumph by sitting still and doing nothing, for I know the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.



I have fought in every battle of every war, for more than 200 years: Gettysburg, Shilo, San Juan Hill, the trenches of France, the Argonne Forest, Anzio, Rome, the Beaches of Normandy, Guam, Okinawa, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, in the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan and scores of places long forgotten by all but those who were there with me.



I have led soldiers; I have followed soldiers, and I watched over them. They love me.



I was on a small hill at Iwo Jima. I was dirty, battle worn, and tired, but my soldiers cheered me, and I was proud.



I have been soiled, burned, torn and trampled on the streets of countries that I helped set free and gave aide and comfort to. It does not hurt, for I am strong!



I have been soiled, burned, torn and trampled on the streets of my own country, and -- when it is by those whom I have served with in battle -- it hurts. But I shall overcome, for I am invincible! I have slipped the bonds of earth and from my vantage-point on the moon, I stand watch over the uncharted new frontiers of space.



I have been a silent witness to all of America’s finest hours. But my finest hour comes when I am torn into strips to be used as bandages for my wounded comrades on the field of battle, act as a shroud for brave Sailors and Marines buried at sea, fly at half mast to honor my fallen brothers -- and -- when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving mother, at the grave-side of her fallen child.



As an eternal testimony to my fallen comrades, let my presence on naval warships around the world echo the warning of a fallen president… “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of Liberty.”



Long may I wave, dear God, long may I wave.

Display your flag(s) proudly.
And remember each day...
we are the Home of the Free
because of the brave!
Have a great Flag Day....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails