"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









8.04.2011

Lasagna...In A Crock Pot! Really.

Although I have thoroughly enjoyed having this Summer-Without-A-Stove, once in a while I can tell my boys (Hubby included in that) really want a good meal. I saw on Facebook where one of my friends was making Crock pot Lasagna. I decided to do the same.
I already had the 'no cook' noodles, so I knew they would work perfectly. Although, I did find out that regular lasagna noodles would work as well.

I had to use my outdoor grill to brown my hamburger meat and make my sauce. (Remember the reason I am having a no-cook summer, is because our new (old) house does not have a stove....Although I have narrowed my choices down to just a couple now.) Honestly though, it was no problem making my lasagna sauce on the grill.

I brought the meat sauce back inside and began to make the lasagna. I started by putting a crock pot liner in the crock pot. Best. Invention. Ever! 
I put a layer of meat down, then just broke my noodles to fit into the next layer. 

I did not use any special recipe. I just made the lasagna like I usually do. After I put the layer of noodles, I put on another layer of meat, then added generous portions of cottage cheese, shredded mozzerella cheese and a handful of shredded cheddar every once in a while. I continued this till the crock pot was almost full to the top.

I then added parmesan cheese to the top and turned the crock pot on 'high'.  When I could begin to really smell the lasagna, I went in to check on it. It was doing great. (This was about 2 1/2 hours after I began.) I then turned the crock pot down to low.

I cooked it on low another couple of hours and it was easily done. I realize that every crock pot is different, so my advice would be to make this once and keep a close watch on your crock pot until you know how it works. I have a warm button on my crock pot and I then turned it to warm until we were ready to eat.
This was incredibly easy. Just fill up the crock pot and forget about it!
When I get my oven, I think I will continue to make crock pot lasagna on days I have to work. It would be so easy to make it, turn it on 'low' all day and come home to a great meal that is ready to go!
Use your own lasagna recipe (don't forget the crock pot liner), layer up that lasagna and give it a try! We will definitely be making this again....even when we do have a stove! It is creamy and delicious. 
Oh and one other advantage is with the intense heat we have been having, this did not heat up my kitchen in any way! It just warmed out tummies!
I'm linking this with Foodie Friday. Go and check it out!
Also check out Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home.and Funky Junk Interiors and Be Different Act Normal.

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this. It looks like a perfect way to have a dinner ready. Friday nights require that often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so yummy! Wish I had some!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmm I love slow cooker lasagna... we have it a lot... Your photos look SO GOOD! It freezes well too!

    Good Rule: Keep Cool
    ~Rainey @ The Project Table~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, this looks delicious! I never thought to make lasagna in my crock pot. Now I know! :o)
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails