"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









8.19.2010

Like Fire and Ice......or Bread and Butter..........

Sometimes without even trying, a simple picture says as much as many words. Such is the story from this picture.

By all appearances these legs look opposite (even though this year Hubby is actually quite tan!). But, if you notice the legs, while opposite looking, are snuggled together, touching, and very comfortable where they are.

The picture of the legs very much depicts the marriage of  Hubby and me. In so many ways we are opposite:
He loves TV, while I am strictly books.
He loves true rock and roll, while I am more country or Southern rock.
He loves to sleep, I think you can sleep when you're dead.
He would play golf every day if he could, I like to think Mark Twain had it right when he said, "Golf is a good walk spoiled."
He is a computer nerd, I am a computer Ihavenoidea.
He likes loud, I like quiet.
He loves new houses, I yearn for the old.
He is an ESPN groupie, I covet the news.
His legs are low to the ground, my gams go on forever.
He likes food piled and layered, I prefer simple eats.
He tunes me out, I never quit talking.
He lays still all night, I toss and turn.
He likes to relax, my mind never shuts down.
He likes things as they are, I never quit changing things.
He likes low-key, I like infinite details.
He lets things roll off his back, I super-analyze.
He accepts, I ask why.
He likes spicy, I like mild.
He can small-talk anyone, I like to observe only.
He is nonchalant, I am very independent.
 
So many opposite traits, yet we get along very well. 

Why is that? 

When we do think alike, it is about our core beliefs. It is about our children and our families. It's about what we expect out of each other and what we do for each other.
It's about our fundamental religious beliefs. It's about our life together. 


We decided many, many years ago that not only is it good to be opposite, it is necessary. But when push comes to shove, we know we have each other. We know true love. I know he would do absolutely anything for me, and he knows I would go to the end of the world for him. 


The opposite traits make us who we are. The opposite traits work to make us separate individuals in a complete union.


My favorite marriage quote was penned by Ruth Graham, wife of Billy Graham.  She said, "If two people in a marriage are exactly the same, then one of them isn't needed."


Don't you love that? 

So today, on the day that started it, all those years ago, I send "Happy Anniversary" wishes to my one. true. love!







 

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to Lo and Tim!
    Lots of great memories came flooding back as I read your post.
    Have a fun day!
    Love you
    Li

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Lori! Happy Anniversary to you & Tim! I agree with Ruth, what a wise woman she was.

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how many years is it, Lori? Are you going to make me count? I could probably come pretty close. LOL.
    Congratulations! Be sure and tell your soon-to-be-married-kid your secret to a good marriage. And when you do, share it with us, too.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails