"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









3.07.2010

Simple Words To Live By........

On this spring Sunday morning, I can't help but think of these words.......

     "I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. 
    I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of       him."--Abraham Lincoln

No, it is not Christmas as one might think from looking at my pic of the day, but it is the birthday of my uncle, D. Jo Ferguson, thus the plaid Scottish background and the letter "F".
My uncle died in January at the age of 87.  He spent (quite literally) most of those years proud of the school, college, town, state and country he was from.  He was a newspaper editor and wrote each week about the pride he had in the places he was from.  In turn, at his funeral, it was quite evident from the crowd that my uncle had indeed touched the lives of many.
How many of us live by Lincoln's words? In this day and age it is so easy to turn away and not want to be part of things that are going on.  But if each of us pledge to give our best to where we are from...........................just imagine!

I have linked this to Tracey's :  
http://acottageindustry.typepad.com/a_cottage_industry/2010/03/words-to-live-by-week-158.html

2 comments:

  1. I love these words from Lincoln....I hope my place is proud of me.

    What a sweet tribute for your uncle..very nice photo too!

    You might want to check your link on Tracey's blog - when I clicked your name it linked right back to her. I found you through her comment section. I'll be back to visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog from Tracey's. Your quote on the sidebar brought me to tears. It was just what I needed to read today after the day I've had. (of course, I blogged all about it) I can tell from everything I see on this page...you are my kind of girl. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails