"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









6.12.2012

Eating by the dozen(s)!!!!

Meatballs were on the menu over the weekend. I made two pans of them, then a special little third pan.
Hubby and I had one son home with us. One of my sons had gone to Kansas for the weekend, so I made him the special little third pan. I figured when he got back to Oklahoma, he could cook them and have his own little meal.
Well, that's what I get for thinking!
Instead when #2 son got back from Kansas, he immediately ate 12 of the 13 leftover meatballs. Yes, you read that right. He ate 12. In one setting. (This is the same son who ran the 26 mile marathon and took down stone walls.)
Why he left that one lone leftover meatball is beyond me.
So yesterday for lunch I cooked the special pan that I had made for him. It had six meatballs in it.
I had three of them and a salad. It was perfect. 
Twelve??? Really???
I have no idea why I am still shocked at the things "kids" do.
I say "kids" because he is 24!!!!
I make my meatballs about golf ball size. Some might be a little bigger. A few might be a tad smaller.
We usually like to serve them over rice (that I add a packet of onion soup mix to), baked beans and cornbread.
(Obviously as you can see) it is one of our favorites.
The meatballs are fast and super easy to make.
You can made them as spicy as you wish.
Eating them with salad was delicious too.

By the way...you know the other three in that pan from lunch yesterday that I did not eat?  
#2 son absconded with them too!
If you make these...make plenty.
You never know who will make off with them!

Meatballs
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup quick-cook oats (you can add more)
1 cup milk (I use canned if I have it)
1 packet of onion soup mix OR 3 or 4 tbs. finely chopped onion
spices to taste (I use garlic salt, red pepper flakes, pepper)
Combine all these ingredients in a large bowl. Get your hands in it and mix it all together.
After you have it mixed well, form the meat mixture into balls. I suppose you could use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop for this. I just use my hands.
Spray a pan and set your meatballs in it. Mine usually touch each other, as I am trying to stuff as many in a pan as possible.

BBQ SAUCE that makes them absolutely DELICIOUS
In a saucepan put:
2 cups ketchup
3/4 -1 cup of brown sugar
2 tbs. liquid smoke (very important)
Heat this up till it is combined and smooth.
Drizzle these over your meatballs and bake in a 350 degree oven.
The time depends on the size of meatball you made. Mine usually take 20 minutes for golf ball size. 
Enjoy!
Oh...one more thing: You do realize that I always double that recipe! (Sometimes even triple it.....) But I thought I would throw out the regular recipe for normal families! 
Sharing with Foodie Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails