"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









4.08.2013

Tulip Wreaths and Glue Guns!

Isn't she lovely?

 I just love it. It is big. It is red. It is springtime. It is perfect. 
And it only cost me $15. 
And 741,000 glue gun burns. 
 Let's back up and I will tell you how I made it. It was really quite easy. Especially if there is a good show on TV that you can watch while you are making it. OR perhaps watching TV is perhaps why I have the 741,000 glue gun burns! So...make this at your own risk! ha!

 I saw this last year and wanted to make it, but never did. Then I saw it again the first of March and got the things to make it. I read the tutorial at DIY Village. She gives great instructions and never mentions 741,000 glue gun burns. So I gathered up my things. I already had the spool of ribbon from the dollar store. I had the wreath. (If you have to buy one, use your coupon from Hob Lob or Michaels.) The only thing I actually bought were 15 bunches of red tulips at the Dollar Tree. While you are at the Dollar Tree you might as well buy band-aids too. Just saying.
 If you will notice the tulips are slightly different. There are two reasons. I bought all the red ones they had and in order to do that, I had to buy them slightly different. The ones one the right are a little more open and "ruffly". I used those as my base. The wreath at DIY Village had three colors, but I just wanted one color. If you read this blog at all you know that red is my color of choice. 
 I also had this ribbon from Hob Lob that I ended up using. It was not in my original picture, but I ended up liking it MUCH better than the silk ribbon I used. (The ribbon is used to wrap the wreath. Then I made a bow later as well.)
 I also found that in order to get those $1 price tags off, it was much easier to slide the flower or the leaves off and slide the tag off than to try to tear it off. Then just put the flower back together. 

 I did not get pictures of this, but (obviously????) I cut the groups of tulips apart into singlets. I then did as the tutorial said and stuck my flowers down into the wreath in the seams of the ribbon. I put one on the outside edge, one on the inside edge and one in the middle. I also put a dab of hot glue on each and every stem I put into the wreath. THAT is where my 741,000 glue-gun burns came in. 
 As you can see in the picture before this, I ran out of that silky ribbon. I did not want to go to the store just for a spool of ribbon. That is when I pulled the burlap ribbon out. I liked it much better: 1. For looks and 2. Then you could put the stem down anywhere. You did not have to just use the "seams".  I still put glue on the end of each stem. 
 I had the wreath laying flat as I added my tulips. Then I decided I needed it sitting up so I could see it better. I propped it on a bucket. Next time I will make the wreath outside and nail it on a deck post or something. It would be super easy to make if it was hanging as you stuff it full of tulips. 

 Then in my ineptness brilliance I decided I wanted a burlap bow as well. I went to pull out the tulips for a space and it was darn hard to get those tulips out. Let me just say those 741,000 glue-gun burns were apparently worth it. Those tulips are in to stay! 
So I just pulled out a few and squished in the burlap bow. But I am glad I did. I love the roughness against the tulips. 

 In case you are wondering what all the green stems are, the $1 tulips also come with greenery. You can't beat that

While the tutorial I used made hers symmetrical and perfect, my wreath is more "wild". It is definitely round, but not perfectly round. That is the look I chose. You can make yours round if you prefer. You would just be more careful sticking in the tulips to keep it symmetrical. 


 OK. I  have mine on the wooden door as you saw in several shots. But I hung it on a glass storm door to show you what it looks like on the back. Remember where I ran out of the silk ribbon? Well now I have a two-ribbon wreath. If this was going to hang up where the back could be seen, then I would have made it all one ribbon. Mine won't matter. I'm telling you tho. Go with the burlap. I suppose you wouldn't even have to wrap it if you didn't want to. It would just be a green styrofoam showing though. 

 So this is where she hangs. Isn't she lovely? Even if you have to buy the wreath and the ribbon as well as the tulips, this wreath still wouldn't cost over $25 at the most. I saw the same wreath on Etsy for $95. Of course, depending on the size you want, it could be a smaller wreath as well. 
This wreath surely says "Welcome Spring"...and maybe even "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips"!
Just watch out for those glue-guns.
Linking with:

3 comments:

  1. "She" IS lovely - and I think using the two styles of tulips adds to her beauty! Happy healing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your wreath!! It's precious....LOVE the colors and LOVE tulips!! I would love for you to link up at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase.

    Just follow the link....http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2013/04/show-licious-craft-showcase-26.html.

    Marti

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails