"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









10.18.2012

An Apple Two Ways....

The first time I saw these individual packets of caramel,
when my children were younger, I bought them right up.
I have continued to do so every Fall since. 
 Then I proceed to set out the caramel packets, big juicy apples and an easy apple-corer. I set them all out in a big bowl or a wire basket and also keep small paper plates close-by. 
 You would be surprised at how quickly the apples and caramel disappear when they are all grouped together and setting out just waiting for takers. The caramel is soft and delicious and perfect for dipping individual apple slices into. 
 Try it at your house. You will make people very happy. 

 Another way I use all those wonderful apples we get in the Fall is to make Crock Pot Apple Butter. It is fast. It is easy. It makes your house smell delicious. The end result...the apple butter... tastes as good as it smells. 
It is perfect bottled up in little jars and given out to neighbors or co-workers. My children and the Hubs like it best served on hot homemade biscuits. It is equally good on a peanut butter sandwich. 
Don't miss out on all the fun ways to use the delicious apples.
I have posted this recipe before, but it is worth repeating. 

CROCK POT APPLE BUTTER
Approximately 3 lb. apples
3 cups sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cloves
Dash of salt
3/4 cup water or fresh apple cider

Fill Crock-pot 3/4 full with peeled, cored and sliced apples. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until evenly mixed. Cover and cook on low setting overnight or until the butter is of a thick, spreadable consistency.

If apple butter has too much liquid, remove lid and cook on high until thickened. Stir often as butter thickens to prevent scorching.

I also adjust the sugar according to the sweetness of the apples I am using. You may need to add more sugar.

Store in refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. Freeze for longer storage.

Variation: For a less sweet apple butter, substitute 1 cup honey for the sugar.

Linking with:
Foodie Friday
 On The Menu Monday
Metamorphosis Monday


2 comments:

  1. Hopefully going to make that apple butter tomorrow:) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails