"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









8.17.2012

Chicken and Rice (and everything nice)

 Although this is one of our favorite meals, I hesitate to even publish it for several reasons. First, the pictures do not EVEN begin to do it justice. Secondly, I tend to "doctor" this recipe depending on how many I am making it for. If I am making it for large crowds, I pour in more rice. If I pour in more rice, that means more milk. I tend to cook that way. It comes from cooking for large crowds (a/k/a big families)!
 Please let me assure you again. This tastes delicious. The pictures tend to make it look like a big gloppy mess, when in reality, it is one of those dishes that you will want to make again. And again. And again. It can be made ahead of time and put in the the fridge until ready to cook. It is wonderful warmed up for leftovers. Simply stated, chicken and rice is the bombdiggity. Take my advice and try it. 
I will include the recipe for the basic Chicken and Rice recipe. After you have made it a time or two, you can decide how to tweak it however you want. ...(Because I assure you, you WILL make it more than once.)

Chicken and Rice 
4 or 5 boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks *uncooked
2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups uncooked rice
1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
2 cups of milk 

Mix Cream of Mushroom soup, milk, rice and onion soup mix in a bowl. Add chunks of chicken. Stir. Pour into greased (I use spray) casserole dish. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Check frequently to make sure it is not turning the rice at the edges too brown. If you feel it needs more liquid as it is cooking, just add a tad more milk and stir gently. I have also just added the rice/soup/milk mixture over boneless chicken breasts that were not cut up. This cooks the same way. I just find it sometimes takes the whole chicken breasts longer to cook and that makes the rice more dry.
Really. The whole recipe is that simple. As I said, it can be adjusted according to how many you are feeding. 

You can tell from my pictures above, that the rice is moist (and delicious!) 
Linking with:

3 comments:

  1. I have that same china pattern!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken and rice sure sounds nice! ...must try this out one of these days:)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails