"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









8.22.2012

Cheesy Beef Enchiladas

 These cheesy beef enchilada's meet all the "F" requirements I strive for when I cook. Surprised at "F" requirements and not "A's" like the teacher in me would normally do?  Well cooking brings out the straight "F's": Food (obviously), Family (will the family think it is absolutely great), Friends (I either get the recipe from friends or share it with friends), Fabulous (this one is very much so) and Football (this isn't always a necessary category, but we do spend a lot of time eating good food in the fall while watching football!!
 This recipe was given to me by a Friend. My Family absolutely loves it. It is a Frequent request. It is without a doubt Fabulous. And of course, it works out as Football Food sometimes. And just for the record, yes I absolutely did use the ugliest pan I own to cook these in. I do get a true F for that!!!
 When I make beef enchiladas, I also make chicken enchiladas as well. It is always interesting to see which pan(s) get scarfed eaten up first by my crew. A few weeks ago we were back in Kansas for a wedding and so many of my sons friends told me they missed my cooking, especially our Mexican nights. I started thinking that I had never posted the two enchilada recipes. Since I am doing Cheesy Beef Enchiladas tonight, I will post the Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas next week. 
 Throw in a green salad and add some nachos and dip and you have the perfect (according to my sons and their friends) meal. Believe me when I say my sons are experts in the food category. You've seen their pictures!


Cheesy Beef Enchiladas
2 lbs. ground beef, browned and drained
1 large can evaporated milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tall can enchilada sauce (the temperature is up to you!!)
1 can chopped green chilies (or you may substitute a can of drained Ro-tel)
2 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
Flour tortillas

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, except for the flour tortillas. Stir well, combining all your ingredients. DO NOT let the less than appetizing look of this deter you from trying these. Believe me, pure deliciousness. Spray the bottom of a casserole dish (hopefully prettier than mine!!). Put a spoonful or two of the goop on the bottom of the pan. Then place a flour tortilla in your left hand, scoop a heaping (serving) spoon full of goop with your right hand. Lay the goop on the middle of your flour tortilla, roll it up and place it in the pan, seam side down. Continue this until you are almost out of goop. Save a couple of spoonfuls of goop to spread across the top. You can also add shredded cheddar cheese to the top (yes, I do). Cover with foil and bake about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. 

A few things to note: 1. You can actually use either hand to hold the tortilla and/or spoon with goop. I was just kidding when I said which hand to put them in. Just in case you did not figure that out. 2. When there is goop that oozes out onto their plates, or in the pan, my sons (very non-mannerly) scoop the goop (say that three times) onto a chip and eat the goop as dip. I am neither condoning that cave-man behavior, nor recommending it. I am just telling you it might just happen. 3. My friend that gave me this recipe, never ever made it into enchilada's. She called it Enchilada Casserole. She used the same goop and instead of rolling her enchiladas, she put the goop in a deep casserole dish, then a layer of tortillas. Another layer of goop. Another layer of tortillas, etc. Until you end with the goop. This is equally as good, but we just do the enchiladas. Now you know. 
P.S. Please use better manners than my sons and their friends when you see these come out of the oven. 
Linking with:
Wow Us Wednesdays
Foodie Friday
On The Menu Monday

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really good and RICH ... would like to try it, but will have to wait for a large group of people. Thanks for sharing.
    Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
    Timeless Treasures.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails