"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









5.09.2011

Stripping

We have ten days between
getting this house
to when we have to be out of our other house.
In the meantime, we both have full-time jobs,
and have to refinish the floors
of the new (old) house.
So for the past four days
we have been
stripping.
Heavy duty stripping.
In fact,
we've had the
whole family
stripping.
You do realize I am
talking about
stripping floors,
right?
We had a three-day weekend
at our school.
Plus my husband and I
took a day off of work.
And we sanded and stripped.
And sanded some more.
And when that wasn't working well enough
we added weight to the sander
and sanded some more.
We used an "edger" sander.
It was the beast.
But it was also stronger
than four horses.
I could not control it.
I left that to my husband and sons.
Did I mention that sanding
involves a LOT of
being on your hands and knees?
And heavy equipment that likes
to pull the body in ways it shouldn't.
Loud noises.
Lots and lots and lots of fine dust.
Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of time.
Lots of different sanders.
Every size imaginable.
Every grade of grit on the sandpaper.

But it slowly began to come off.
Stripping is not for the impatient....
which is why it is so hard for me!
If the pictures seem random, they are.
We did lots of rooms.
We had lots of tools.
All our children got in on the action,
although I did not get pictures
of everyone.

 


Ever so slowly
they began to look
so much better.


This was a job for
two
shop-vacs.
And a few Swiffers.
My husband wore his Zune
the entire time
and rocked out to classic rock...
As he sang along.
It was entertaining.

 My son was able to bend over like this for hours
and control that beast edger.
Oh to be young and nimble again!





When the four-day stripping extravaganza
was over....
we had this.
The floors look
absolutely beautiful
in their
naked state.
But alas...yes we did,
we gave them a coat...
or two..
of....
Well stay tuned. I'll show you more....
real soon......

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous house! I'm so thrilled you found it. I hear it's fantastic. Hope you have many years of happiness there. Or that you move closer to C-Town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so so exciting! Loved the pictures! Hi, Im Meme from Screaming Meme...I want to personally invite you to visit my blog...I am having a giveaway series...I hope you can stop by for a visit!

    Meme

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails