"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









2.27.2011

Feed Sack Table Runner

Tell me who could possibly pass up an old grain sack with these colors?  Not only the colors, but is that heart with the big V not just the best?  Yes, I had it on my table for Valentines, but I can't put it away yet! It has to stay at least through "planting season"!!

It is somewhat amusing to think that we have come full circle. Many of us have grandparents and great-grandparents that used old feed sacks for various reasons.....because they had to and they were so resourceful with every thing they had.


I often wonder what they would think of our society today. I have no doubt they would be ashamed at all the waste, but what would they think of those of us that embrace the things from yesteryear and use them once again? As you can see this feedsack was not thrown away despite the hole in the front. It was simple to mend, and even accentuate the wear and tear it once saw. Can you see the small patch I put under it?

I put a simple backing on it, and used a checked piping on the edges. It has a simple beauty of its own without me trying to beautify it further.

One layer of batting later with simple machine quilting and it is ready to display. It can now be washed easily and will stay together for years to come.

In case you had never noticed, I love anything with a check fabric! This binding was just enough to add a little color around the edges. Perfect feed sack. Wonderful table runner. 

I am joining Susan's Metamorphosis Monday and The Tablescapers Seasonal Sundays and Kim at Wow Us Wednesdays and The Blessed Nest. Take a look at all of the great ideas.


7 comments:

  1. Oh I just love this!!! I have some of this kind of feed sacks that I have not figured out what to do with. Mine have a lion on them. I never would have thought of the quilting. Beautiful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really cool idea. I am jealous of you for having that feed sack....it's just perfect!! I would love it if you would link this up to my blog party, A Marvelous Mess. At each party I will pick one project to feature on my sidebar for a week!! Here is the link: http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/02/marvelous-mess-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic, I don't think I have any feed sacks downstairs but I have a big canvas advertising sign down there that this might work with. Thanks for the great idea, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! What an awesome way to display an old feed sack. I have one in a drawer around here somewhere and have been wanting to do something with it, but I don't think the color and design are as strong as yours. Maybe I'll dig it out of the drawer and see how it would look as a table runner or a pillow or something. Thanks for the inspiration! Stephanie from Buttermilk Hill

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty runner. You really made good use of the old fabric. I like checks, too, they just wake everything up. Your topiary pots are the perfect accent, Lori :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're right that our ancestors would be both proud at our reuse of things but sad at the amount of waste. Love your grain sack. Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wouldn't of been able to pass it up either!

    it is wonderful. love it as a table runner.

    thanks for linking up.
    HAPPY MARCH!
    kellie

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails