"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









8.15.2010

Living the Fruits of the Spirit

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” (Galatians 5:22)

 



I have a very good friend back in Kansas that has been diagnosed with a very aggressive brain tumor.  I wrote about her a few weeks ago.
She is not only a teacher during the school year, but she has run the aquatic park in town for years and years.  She is in the position where each and every day she can touch people's lives.
And she has. And she continues to.
I can say, in all honesty, that Susie is the kindest person I have ever met. She is kind to everyone. She is not "fake" kind, but truly, genuinely kind to every single person that she sees each and every day.
I have thought of this often during the past six weeks since Susie's diagnosis.  Her doctor told her from the beginning that the most important tool one needs in fighting this type of brain tumor is attitude.  Even the doctor said, after just meeting her,  that Susie was off the chart in having a positive attitude about life. 
When I first heard that news about Susie's illness I just kept thinking over and over and over, "Why of all people would this happen to Susie? She is the kindest, nicest person on earth!!"
 Because I am weak, I let that thought enter and take root. But each and every time God has answered back. In fact he has shown how he continues to work in Susie's life.  Because Susie is so sincerely nice, to everyone, well everyone have responded to Susie. People that normally would not do or say kind things are suddenly taking the time to pray for Susie. They are asking what they can do for Susie. They are helping out others. 
 Susie's former students are reaching out. The scores of teenagers Susie has employed for years at the pool are reaching out to help others. The families of all the students and pool workers are reaching out to help others.  Susie's undiscriminating kindness to all is being paid forward over and over and over. God continues to work through Susie each and every day.
If ever there were a person that truly exemplifies the Fruits of the Spirit is it my friend Susie.  
Next weekend my husband and I and all our children are making the trek back to northern Kansas to help put on a benefit for Susie. 
I hauled out my box of old metal letters and decided to write out the Fruits of the Spirit for a photo collage. We are all taking something to donate to the raffle.  This is part of my contribution.  I am making a collage of the Fruits of the Spirit, because not only does it represent and exemplify Susie so well, but it is a reminder to me of how I need to treat people.  
So, not only am I going to make a poster to donate, I plan on making one to keep in my own home.  Then, when I see it, not only will I think of Susie and smile, but it will be a reminder to me of how I can best honor Susie........To treat others---and not just talk about it--- with the Fruits of the Spirit! 
Like I said, God is working even more in Susie's life than he was six weeks ago! 
Now I am off to photograph patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control
I have linked with Tracey for Weekly Words to Live By.  If you would like to see how many people love and pray for Susie each day, you can go here: Praying for Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails