We had a sweet friend who passed away at the beginning of summer, that made this bread probably thousands of times to take to church dinners, convalescing friends, or just to take to someone as a way of saying, "I am thinking of you."
Each time I make this bread I think of her and the legacy of kindness she left behind.
The recipe is very fast and easy once you set out all the ingredients. I usually try to make two batches at one time, because the bread is SO good, it disappears quickly....Plus that allows for giving some away!
Ingredients for bread and glaze
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter flavored extract
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate--may add more as needed
- 1 teaspoon butter flavored extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
One last note to consider when making and eating anything to do with poppy seeds: The small poppy seeds can, in some cases, cause drug tests to show a positive for drugs. Just keep this in mind in case you are taking any kind of drug test for school or work!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees pans.Grease whatever type and size of pan you plan to use.
- Mix together flour, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds, butter flavoring, oil, eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and almond flavoring. I like to alternate adding dry and wet ingredients as I mix. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees. Bake until the bread is done (using the toothpick test!!) Poke holes in top of loaves and pour glaze over.
- To make glaze: Mix orange juice concentrate, 1 teaspoon butter flavoring, 1 teaspoon almond flavoring, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add enough confectioners' sugar to make glaze.
Seeded Results --This link confirms that it is not urban legend!
Otherwise, eat to your heart's content, share with a friend, and enjoy!
Linked to Foodie Friday