"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









9.03.2013

All Cooped Up!!

 At a cute little barn sale two or three years ago, I impulsively bought a wire chicken coop. 

 In my minds eye I just knew it would look cute above my washer and dryer. We have a big laundry room without a single cabinet....Eight windows (!!!!!), but no cabinets. 
 The coop, while sitting outside at the sale, looked just normal size to me. I did not even question the idea that it might not fit over the washer and dryer. I knew that was a big wall space. I am such a bad judge of character when I see things in wide open spaces apparently! This coop is 59 inches long. Just one inch short of five feet long! Oh my word...it filled up a lot more space than I anticipated!
 On a positive note though, it holds everything! We have quite a selection of laundry detergents and fabric softeners in several of the nesting spaces. Three of the spaces are filled with boxes or baskets that hold extra light bulbs, extension cords and votive candles. One space holds our Christmas jars (where we keep our change all through the year till we gift it anonymously at Christmas time to a family that needs it.) (Those jars fill up quickly if you put your spare change in there each day. You should try it!!) 


 The hole where I presume the eggs would be retrieved (or dropped???) is the perfect size for the end of the laundry and fabric softener dispensers. We just hold the little plastic cup right under the coop. 
 The coop was originally all galvanized. When I bought it, I would say it was mostly rusted, except for the cute little places for tags. I spray painted the cage part a light aqua. I know a lot of people would have preferred the rust, but I liked the aqua. 
I did leave the galvanized plates alone. I like those as is. Yes, I really should come up with some clever tags and put there, but I never have. I wonder what was there in the chicken days. Feeding schedules? Production output? Type of chicken? Name of chicken? (I doubt that one!) 

 This is how it looks from the side. It is made that way, all slanty. Again, I presume so that when the eggs were laid they rolled down that hole into a waiting something or other???? I have no idea. At first I hated that it was all slanty and I wanted my Hubs to "fix it" so that it sat straight. He appeased me and said he would "later". Well it is two or three years later and it is still slanty and I don't even notice it anymore. I do need to put a little shelf across the top of the washer and dryer, but that is something I can do myself. Someday. 
 Then after all that, there is still a basket that sits on top of my dryer. I guess I need to clean out the candles or cords or light bulbs and put this up there. 
 We have the Christmas jar for change and the little basket for golf tee it looks like! 
I did learn a lesson from buying the giant 7-hole chicken coop....Now I keep a little notebook and a mini tape measure in my purse with house measurements. At a glance I can look to see if something fits, so that I won't be bringing home anymore 5 foot long chicken coops! 
Linked to:

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you bought it on impulse! What a great item, and a clever way to use it --it's perfect. I love the paint job too by the way makes it even better if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique project!! I love it! We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails