"I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told." -Mark Twain









9.14.2010

cloudy with a chance of MEATBALLS!!!!!

We watch a lot of ballgames.  We frequently have lots of people over. We always take food with us when we go to any party.  We like versatile recipes. Today's recipe fits the bill perfectly for each category.

 Homemade meatballs are fast and easy to make. The recipe makes a large amount. 




There is a homemade barbque sauce that goes on the meatballs before they are cooked.



They can also be made ahead and frozen.  Mine never make it to the freezer.



The recipe also lets you customize it to your own taste. Change the meatballs up.  Change the sauce up.  Or eat them exactly as I post the recipe. I guarantee their delicousness!!



I mix the meat mixture in a big bowl and make walnut size balls.  I line them up in a pan.



Then I whip up the sauce and ladel it over the top of the meatballs.  Cover them with foil. Pop them into the oven and you've got a great game day snack. 

Or a full meal for your guests.  We like to cook up a batch of rice, add a package of onion soup mix to the rice and serve the meatballs over rice with baked beans on the side. My own family loves this meal.

Or you can just keep them lined up in their pan and take them to a church picnic, or a potluck with friends.

A guaranteed pan of scrumptiousness! See the recipe below.

MEATBALLS (just that word sets my sons off into a quote frenzy--from the movie, not the recipe!!)

1 (12oz.) can evaporated milk
3 lb. hamburger
2 eggs
2 c. quick oatmeal
2 tsp. salt
1 chopped onion
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. chili powder

Mix milk hamburger, eggs, oatmeal, salt,onion, garlic salt, pepper, and chili powder. Shape into balls. Spray pan, then place meatballs into pan.  You can crowd them into the pan, but make only one layer.

SAUCE
2 cup catsup
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 c. onion, chopped

Mix sauce until dissolved.  Pour over meatballs.  Bake in 350 degree oven.  Depending on your pan and how many you have in there it will take between 30 - 45 minutes.  Take one meatball out, cut it open, if it is not pink, then tastetest.  Then to "just make sure" grab another meatball and tastetest.  Are you sure yet?  Keep trying!!

*****I am not a conventional cook. I tend to throw in a little of this and a lot of that.  This meatball recipe is good that way. You can add more milk, or more meat, or different spices. We like to put hot red pepper flakes in ours.  I also substitute a package of dry onion soup mix instead of chopped onion (because that is what my husband prefers).
Really, this recipe is designed to be customized for YOUR family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my Big Story. You thought....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails